The files available for download include lute music edited from original sources, arrangements, and new compositions by Ron Andrico. We will be adding more pieces for lute solo or lute and voice occasionally, including examples of lute music edited from original sources for forthcoming publications in our series of Mignarda Editions.
Latest Samples (updated October 2013)
- A Lesson for the Viol by Thomas Mace, from Musick's Monument (1676)
Transcribed & edited for lute by Ron Andrico
- Dump Philli from the Marsh lute ms
Edited & reconstructed by Ron Andrico
- Un flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle Attributed to Nicolas Saboly (17th c.)
Arranged by Ron Andrico
- Praeludium 5 from Nicolas Vallet, Regia Pietas, 1620
One of 10 praeludia in this large collection of psalm settings and variations.
- Courante - du Sieur de la Barre from Jean-Baptiste Besard, Novus Partus, 1617
For no reason at all and from a very rich, if messy source
- Fortune my foe by John Dowland/Andrico
(Lute duet arranged by Ron Andrico) from Shakespeare's Lute Book, available from Mignarda Editions
- Branles de village by Jean-Baptiste Besard
(1617) Edited by Ron Andrico (Arranged as a duet for unison lutes from the original duet for fourth-apart lutes.)
- Lachrimae (am) by John Dowland
From Cambridge University Library Ms. Dd. 2.11 f. 75v, Edited by Ron Andrico (in anticipation of the forthcoming facsimile to be published by the Lute Society (UK)
- Veni, Emmanuel
13th century hymn, as performed on Mignarda's CD, Duo Seraphim, with thanks to Fred Lautzenheizer.
- A Ground [untitled]
From Cambridge University Library Ms. Dd. 2.11 f. 12v-13, Edited by Ron Andrico (in anticipation of the forthcoming facsimile to be published by the Lute Society (UK)
- 'Gagliarda del Principe di Venosa'
by Carlo Gesualdo, lute intabulation by Ron Andrico
- Romanesca & Galliard
from British Library Stowe MS 389, lute solo
(This English ms version of the Romanesca & Galliard is a cognate of the 'Padoana Romanisca' and 'A Gailliarda' from Pierre Phalese's Luculentum Theatrum Musicum, 1568, f. 80v-81v)
- Queen Elizabeth's Galliard by John Dowland, lute quartet
- Duo Seraphim by Victoria, lute duet (from our CD of the same name)
- Fors Seulement, by Albert de Rippe
- Fantasye, by Vallet
- Royal Lament, a Scots tune
Sample Pages from Currently Available & Forthcoming Editions
Ron Andrico is a specialist in historical music for plucked strings and has had an active career in solo and ensemble performance, vocal accompaniment, recording, as an arranger, and in music for theater. Since 1995, he has been concentrating on the lute and is known for his work in editing historical sources of lute music, producing results both scholarly and practical.